The move from the former marital home to the new single mom apartment feels like moving to a half way house. It seems a requisite step for many of us SMs, and I get why they are here, but I wonder about other residents. Our little apartment complex is like a small town, 400 units, over a thousand residents. It's nice for an apartment. Luxurious with its wood floors, crown molding and high ceilings. I even have a garden bathtub and valet trash service.
Still I find myself wanting to ask... What are you in for? Divorce? Bankruptcy? The hell of it? I am sure there are some nomads, some newlyweds, some roommates, but as nice as it is here, I wouldn't choose it for married life.
Maybe what I should ask myself is... Why not? There is little to worry about in an apartment. The walls here are thick, and while I can hear my upstairs neighbors walking around, I can't hear them talking. It's little kid heaven around here, an enclosed neighborhood brimming with other little kids, all the adults keeping a watchful eye on them, a dog park, a duck pond. A fitness trail. No need to change dirty attic filters or worry about roach problems. Need a light bulb changed? If you can't be bothered, you can put in a work order via the smart phone app.
Maybe what I should do is treat this like a temporary spa retreat. I will roll in the grass with my kids. I will purge our belongings over and over again until what we have is pared to what we need. I will purge my soul of the blackening grief until the guilt storms calm. I will cover my fly-aways with a wide brimmed floppy sun hat and go to the pool in a ridiculous cover-up (hey, both of my parents have had melanoma after all). Note to self: check to see if they allow mimosas at the pool. If not, consider investing in a closed cup, because you fearless reader won't tell, will you? I will enjoy every minute, every second of my own personal heavenly halfway house. I have never been so glad I upped the financial ante for a little luxury. Not a hard choice when it's still a significant price break from the house/dump from whence I came.
Hey, at least there aren't any holes under my bed here.
No comments:
Post a Comment